Buying guides for the best carpet cleaners for home use
When it comes to keeping your carpets clean, it’s important to choose the right cleaner. Not all carpet cleaners are the same; some are better than others at getting rid of dirt and stains. So, how do you know which one is the best for your needs?
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of different types of carpet cleaners, so you can choose the right one for your home. We’ll also recommend a few of the best carpet cleaners for home use for you to consider. Keep reading for more information!
Top 7 Best Carpet Cleaners For Home Use You Can Buy In 2023
*Note: Score is based on our AI score (Editor’s choice and rating)
What are carpet cleaners?
Carpet cleaners are machines specifically designed to deep clean your carpets. These machines can be either purchased from a store or rented from a local cleaning service. They usually come with various attachments, such as a brush, hose, and vacuum.
By using the machine’s powerful suction, it is able to thoroughly remove dirt and debris from the carpet fibers. Carpet cleaners also use hot water extraction in order to sanitize carpets and leave them looking like new again.
Benefits of carpet cleaners.
1) Extend the Life of Your Carpets: Over time, dust, dirt, and other particles will accumulate in your carpeting and cause it to wear down faster than normal.
A good quality carpet cleaner will remove all of this debris so that it doesn’t get ground into the fibers of your carpeting. This helps extend its life by keeping it looking new for longer periods of time without having to replace it prematurely due to wear and tear caused by dirt buildup over time!
2) Remove Stains Easily: spilled milk or juice stains can be easily removed from carpets using a quality cleaner like [name] brand products which include powerful stain-fighting solutions. By removing these spots quickly, you can save yourself the headache of trying to cover them up with furniture or other items and instead maintain a clean and fresh look in your home.
3) Improve Air Quality: Carpets naturally trap dust, pollen, dander, and other allergens floating in the air. When these particles build up and aren’t removed regularly, they can cause respiratory issues such as asthma or allergies. Using a carpet cleaner helps to reduce this buildup so that your family can breathe easier without worrying about what’s lurking in their carpets!
4) Reduce Odors: Carpet cleaners not only remove visible dirt but also help to eliminate odors caused by sweat, pet accidents, cooking smells, and more. The powerful suction of a carpet cleaner can penetrate deep into the fibers, pulling out odors and leaving your carpet smelling fresh and clean.
5) Save Time & Money: Regular vacuuming is important for keeping carpets looking their best but it’s not enough when it comes to really deep cleaning them. By investing in a quality carpet cleaner, you can save time and money on professional services while still being able to keep your carpets looking like new!
With just a few passes over the surface, you’ll be amazed at how much dirt and debris can be removed from even the most heavily soiled areas.
Pros and Cons of carpet cleaners.
- Carpet cleaners are a good way to keep your carpets looking clean and fresh. They can be used to remove dust and stains from your carpets, and they will leave them smelling good as well.
- A carpet cleaner is a cheaper option than replacing the carpet. It can be used on any type of carpet, and it will work with any type of stain that you may have on your carpet.
- You do not have to worry about any harmful chemicals being used on your carpets when using a carpet cleaner as it uses natural ingredients instead of harsh chemicals that can damage your carpets or make them look worse than they were before using it.
- Carpet cleaners can be expensive depending on the type you choose and the size of your carpets.
- Carpet cleaners can also be time consuming as they need to be regularly maintained in order for them to work properly.
- The chemicals used in carpet cleaners may not be suitable for everyone, so it is important to check the label carefully before using any particular product. Additionally, some people may experience allergies while using certain types of carpet cleaning products. Finally, there is a risk of over-cleaning which could cause damage to your carpets or make them look worse than they were before you started cleaning them.
How to use carpet cleaners?
- Vacuum the carpet: Before using a carpet cleaner, it is important to vacuum the area thoroughly to remove any dirt and debris that may be present on the surface. Be sure to use a good quality vacuum with powerful suction.
- Apply cleaning solution: Once you have vacuumed the area, apply the appropriate cleaning solution according to manufacturer instructions or as recommended by your retailer. This will help loosen any tough stains and break up dirt particles so they can be more easily cleaned away.
- Let it soak: Allow the cleaning solution to soak into the carpet for 10-15 minutes in order for it to work properly. This will give time for the chemical ingredients of the cleaners to do their job effectively.
- Use cleaning tool: After the solution has had time to soak, use a carpet brush or other appropriate cleaning tool to scrub and agitate the cleaner into the fibers of the carpet. This will help loosen any dirt particles and break up tough stains.
- Extract water: Use your carpet cleaner’s extractor tool to remove the dirty water, along with all the dirt that it contains. Be sure to follow manufacturer instructions when using this feature, as incorrect usage can lead to damage to both your machine and your carpets.
- Rinse: To ensure that all soap residue is removed from the carpets, rinse them with clean water afterward and dry them completely with fans or air blowers before allowing anyone to walk on them. This will help prevent any sticky residue from being left behind.
- Clean up: Once you’re finished, dispose of the dirty cleaning solution according to your machine’s instructions and thoroughly clean all components of the carpet cleaner before storing it away. Be sure to follow manufacturer instructions for proper maintenance and storage of your machine as well.
Types of carpet cleaners.
-Steam cleaners: Steam cleaners use hot water and steam to deep clean carpets, lifting out dirt and stains. They are often recommended for heavily soiled carpets or carpets with persistent odors.
-Carpet shampooers: Carpet shampooers use a cleaning solution that is sprayed onto the carpet and then vacuumed up. This type of cleaner may be best suited to light soiling and surface dirt, as it won’t fully extract all the ground-in grime.
-Dry powder cleaners: Dry powder cleaners work by sprinkling an absorbent mixture onto the carpet fibers, which absorb dirt like a sponge. These are great for spot treatments because they don’t leave behind any residue and are also preferred for carpets with delicate fibers.
-Encapsulation cleaners: Encapsulation cleaners use a synthetic detergent to trap dirt particles in tiny crystals that can be easily vacuumed away. This type of cleaner is fast acting and very effective at removing surface dirt but may not work so well on ground-in grime.
-Dry foam cleaners: Dry foam cleaners use a dry-cleaning solution that is applied to the carpet fibers and worked into a lather. After allowing it to sit for several minutes, it’s vacuumed up along with the embedded dirt and debris. These are best suited for light soil conditions or carpets with long fiber lengths.
-Bonnet pads: Bonnet pads are typically used in commercial settings but can also be used for deep cleaning carpets at home. These pads contain absorbent material that is dampened and then spun over the carpet surface to pick up dirt. The bonnets need to be changed frequently during the cleaning process to ensure maximum effectiveness.
-Carpet extractors: Carpet extractors use hot water and a solution of detergent to remove soils from deep within the carpet pile. They are also effective at removing stains and odors, making them a great choice for more heavily soiled carpets. However, they can take longer than other types of cleaners since moisture needs to evaporate before the carpet can be walked on again.
Common mistakes when using carpet cleaners
When you’re using a carpet cleaner, there are some common mistakes that you can make. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Not waiting long enough for the carpet cleaner to do its job. It may take several hours for your carpet to dry completely after you use a carpet cleaner, and if you walk on it too soon or try to remove stains with blotting or scrubbing, you can cause permanent damage to your carpet.
- Using too much water when cleaning your carpets – can result in wet carpets which will take longer to dry and could cause mold growth in the fibers if they aren’t dried properly after cleaning.
- Using too much detergent when cleaning your carpets – this can cause residue to build up on your carpets over time which may attract dirt more easily than a clean surface would do so it needs more frequent cleaning than before because of this buildup so it best not to use too much detergent at all times unless necessary (like when doing heavy duty cleaning).
- Using an incorrect solution for your specific problem – if you have an oily stain then using vinegar instead of water might not remove those stains easily enough because they’re oil based rather than water based and require a different type of cleaning solution.
- Not testing the cleaning solutions on small patches of your carpet – this could result in discoloration if the wrong product is used, so it’s always a good idea to try a small sample area first before going ahead and treating the whole area with a certain cleaner.
- Using too much pressure when scrubbing or vacuuming your carpets – can damage fibers and cause them to fray or even get pulled out from the backing of your carpet which is not easy to fix without professional help.
- Renting a cheap machine instead of using a professional service – professional cleaners are often well trained and equipped with powerful machines that are designed specifically for carpets, resulting in better cleaning results and less damage to your carpet. It may cost more but it is worth it in the long run.
- Not taking proper care of your carpets after cleaning – this means that you need to vacuum regularly and keep them free from dirt, dust, and other debris by using a good quality rug pad or protector. Additionally, if spills occur, it’s important to clean them quickly before they can cause permanent staining or discoloration.
Factors to consider before buying carpet cleaners
Price: Before purchasing a carpet cleaner, you should consider the price of the product and your budget. Different brands offer different prices that range from low to high-end models. You will need to consider what features are important to you in order to find a model that is within your budget.
Cleaning power: The most important factor to consider when purchasing a carpet cleaner is the cleaning power. If you are looking for an effective and powerful machine, then you should look for models with larger water tanks and more powerful motors. Additionally, some models offer features such as adjustable suction power or two-tank systems that allow you to control how much water is used in the cleaning process.
Noise level: Another important factor to consider when buying a carpet cleaner is the noise level. Some carpet cleaners are much louder than others, so it’s important to find one that won’t be too disruptive while you’re cleaning your carpets. Look for models with soundproofing technology or adjustable speed settings that can help reduce noise levels.
Size and weight: The size and weight of the carpet cleaner are also important considerations. If you plan on using the cleaner in different areas of your home, then it’s best to choose one that is lightweight and easy to maneuver. Additionally, look for models with adjustable handles so you can adjust them to a comfortable level.
User-friendly features: It’s also important to consider user-friendly features when buying a carpet cleaner. Look for a model with an easy-to-use control panel, or one that offers preset cleaning cycles that make it easier to use. Additionally, some machines come equipped with attachments such as brushes or upholstery tools, which can be useful for tackling tough spots or stains.
Customer Service: When buying a carpet cleaner, you should also take into account the customer service of the manufacturer. Look for companies that offer reliable and helpful customer support in case you need help with setup, operation, or repairs.
Material: It’s important to consider the material of the carpet cleaner. Look for models that are made with durable materials such as stainless steel or plastic. This will ensure that your machine lasts longer and can withstand frequent use. Additionally, some companies offer warranties on their products, so make sure to check into this before making your purchase.
Warranty: Finally, make sure to check the warranty of the carpet cleaner before making your purchase. Many manufacturers offer warranties for their products, so be sure to read the fine print and understand what coverage is included. Additionally, some models may offer additional features such as extended warranties or repair plans that can provide extra protection in case something goes wrong with the machine.
Tips to use carpet cleaners.
- Vacuum your carpets at least once a week. This helps to keep the dirt, dust, and other particles from settling deep into the carpet fibers, making them more difficult to remove with a carpet cleaner.
- Use only cleaning products that are specifically designed for carpet cleaning. Using regular detergents or soaps can damage your carpets and leave behind a sticky residue that attracts even more dirt.
- Test any cleaning product on an inconspicuous area of your carpet before applying it all over. This will help you avoid discoloration or fading in areas where too much solution has been applied.
- Pre-treat any spots or stains with a spot remover before using the carpet cleaner. This will help to break down the stain and make it easier for your machine to remove.
- Use a slow, back-and-forth motion when running the carpet cleaner over your carpets. This will ensure that all of the dirt and debris are thoroughly removed from the fibers.
- Be sure to empty or replace the cleaning solution tank when it becomes full. Otherwise, you may be redistributing dirt and grime right back into your carpets!
- Allow your carpets to dry completely before walking on them or moving furniture back onto them. Damp carpets can attract mildew and mold if left too long in wet conditions, so make sure they’re completely dry before using them again.
- Consider hiring a professional carpet cleaner to do the job if your carpets are heavily soiled or stained. Professional cleaners have the right tools and cleaning products to tackle tough stains and deep-set dirt, and their services may be cheaper in the long run than buying your own machine.
What should you not put in a carpet cleaner?
You should not use any harsh chemicals in your carpet cleaner. This can damage the fibers of the carpet, leading to discoloration and other issues. It is also important to avoid bleach, as this can cause severe damage and discoloration.
Additionally, you should never put undiluted essential oils or fragrances in a carpet cleaner as these could stain or damage the carpets.
Finally, always make sure that all residues from cleaning products are rinsed out of the carpet before using it again.
What are the care and maintenance of carpet cleaners?
Carpet cleaners need to be taken care of properly in order to ensure they last and work efficiently.
- Empty the dirty water tank after each use: Carpet cleaner tanks should be emptied after every cleaning session in order to prevent any kind of bacteria or dirt from building up inside.
- Clean the brushes and rollers regularly: The brushes and rollers on carpet cleaners can get clogged with dirt, dust, and debris over time, so they should be cleaned at least once a month using warm water and mild household detergent.
- Check for fraying or wear on hoses: Carpet cleaner hoses tend to wear out over time, so it is important to check them regularly for signs of fraying or wear. If any damage is detected, the hose should be replaced immediately.
- Clean exterior surfaces regularly: The outside of a carpet cleaner should be cleaned on a regular basis using a damp cloth and mild detergent to help keep it looking its best.
- Store appropriately: Carpet cleaners should always be stored in an upright position in order to prevent water or dirt from getting inside the unit and causing damage. Additionally, it is important to store carpet cleaners away from direct sunlight or extreme temperatures as these can cause irreversible damage over time.
So, what are the best carpet cleaners for home use? We’ve looked at a few different types and brands of carpet cleaners and tried to give you an idea of what might work well for your home.
Remember, it’s important to read the instructions carefully and follow them closely in order to get the best results. Also, be sure to test any cleaner on an inconspicuous area of your carpet before using it all over, some carpets may be more sensitive than others. And if you have any questions or concerns about how to use a particular cleaner, don’t hesitate to contact the manufacturer or retailer for advice.
Thanks for reading!
7 Best Vacuum Cleaner Under $200